Thursday, September 27, 2012

Stylish & Compact Workout DVD Storage

Some of you may know, I used to have a blog called [just had] A Bright Idea where I focused mostly on interior design & decor and some DIY-ing. When I started Style Oyster, I wanted to incorporate those things along with my love of fashion and all things, well, stylish. Unfortunately, leaving that blog for a new url posed it's challenges. I lost the readers I had acccumulated over the 6 months of having the blog as well as the content...but wait, that content is NOT lost! Thanks to Blogger, I was able to move it over to Style Oyster. However, it was a little outdated (the wording in some, etc.) and of course the pictures were all tagged with my JHABI logo (and a few with even older blog logos than that! I had some name change issues...) I am putting this paragraph here as a preface to these posts because even though they are from the past, they are still projects that took a long time and are dear to my heart and I didn't want to lose them when I officially take my old blog off the Internet. So I apologize to those of you who have followed me since [just had] A Bright Idea, as you will be experiencing some deja vu, but I know some of you are new and this may all be new content to you. So bear with me, I plan on posting these once a week until they are all on Style Oyster. Thank you so much, and I do hope you enjoy. xoxo

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


 I think it would be safe to say that I own about every fitness DVD put out in the last 10 years:




And quite frankly, I'm attached to the little buggers. But I'm not in love with the amount of space they take up. (I could utilize this drawer for so many other things I currently have "floating" around my house.)




Time for another solution.

I found this cute storage box at Wal-mart for $5.00 made for compact CD/DVD storage. (And it's PINK...perfect!):





I also already had some jewel disc cases in different colors. I decided to try and keep the workout programs separately organized by color of jewel case, i.e. Insanity in pink, P90X in purple, etc...

I kept what pamphlets I needed from the workout programs and tossed anything else.

Once I put them in the box, I realized the separate jewel case colors sort of got lost in the mix - it was hard to differentiate between the colors to quickly grab-n-go with what DVD I needed:




So I pulled out some of my Avery 5366 file folder labels and put them on the jewel case spines:




I then colored the spines with various highlighters to separate each workout program/series:






I still thought it looked a little unfinished, so I went the extra mile and pulled out my label maker:




Now my DVDs look like this:



I put them back in the box...and thought, nope, still hard to know which color is which DVD! So I hopped onto my computer and made a key to paste on the top inside of the box. Now this is what it looks like - all finished:



And since our workout space is also our office space, this little box will have a home on my new desk! I love how the storage this desk provides can help unify the space even though it is utilized for a few different activities.




Thanks for reading! What are your bright ideas for DVD/CD storage?


Find me and follow on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram 
Add my RSS Feed to your Reader

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea!!! Would you find sharing how you make the binder inserts? It really makes a basic binder so much cuter! Thanks!

Morgan S. said...

Hi, are you talking about the Family Binder in the last photo? I made that in CorelDraw, it's a design software program similar to Adobe Illustrator. I will be posting about my family binder in the coming weeks (still putting finishing touches on it) so stay tuned! Thanks for reading!

Anonymous said...

Yes...it really dresses up the binder! So cute! Looking forward to the post on the family binder!

AmberTackles said...

Haha, the first thing I thought was "I don't see Turbo Fire in your collection." I love work-out Dvd's. Gotta do something with mine cause like you said they take up so much space.

eklatt said...

Where do you even think of these brilliant ideas? You are like my organizing goddess blogger friend! Love it...may have to steal the idea since I also have a TON of workout dvd's!

Have a good weekend!
xoxo
peacelovedecor.com

Parkour Tutorial DVD said...

True.This is an excellent idea to store fitness DVDs on a single place.This idea was so attractive that I am willing to try this box to keep my DVDs in it.

Jessica said...

I need to do something like this to organize all our sermons on CD. We have over 100 by now I'm sure and they are not organized in anyway whatsoever. Thanks for the tip!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...